We seek a Broadband Designer with extensive experience and expertise in the layout and design of outside plant fiber-optic networks. Experience shall include expertise in fiber to the premise architecture utilizing GPON Technology, as well as backbone deployments in both aerial and underground environments. Experience shall also include expertise working in the various design software solutions including but not limited to Autocad, Microstation, 3-GIS. Candidate shall also be experienced working with GIS data and software. The position will report to the VP Design and Construction.
Ideal candidate will work on projects and oversee design teams working across North America. Candidates shall have strong subject matter knowledge and think creatively to solve large-scale technology problems for communities across the US as a key member of the design team. We look for self-driven professionals that can work effectively in unstructured work environments and can assist in coordinating a project portfolio with its project teams and other supporting resources. Candidate is expected to be a part of the design team to support division workload and may be tasked with outside plant design, drafting, GIS layouts and analysis, and support to management with reports for client updates and production reporting. Candidate will need to have excellent communications skills and be able to work well with others, who will often be in remote locations. Candidate shall be self-driven and be able to identify what needs to be done in order to achieve project deliverables under strict timelines. Responsibilities will also include direct responsibility of project production including high level and conceptual design, field work - for both aerial and underground deployments, drafting, splice matrix and fiber assignments, GIS input, make ready work, pole loading analysis, permitting, and asbuilts.
travel on a regular basis.
Skills & Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of and excellent computer skills working in various Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and Project, as well as various design software solutions including Autocad, Microstation, and 3-GIS.
Associate's degree; and one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
• Organizational skills
• Project administration skills
• Time management skills
• Presentation skills
• Knowledge of office productivity tools
• Increases job knowledge
• Enhances organization's reputation
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit for long periods of time and use hands. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and distance vision. Must be able to adapt work hours to meet project demands and timelines and travel using by car, and air
include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Setting up, coordinating and performing field work and site visits.
2. Performing pole inspections, loading analysis and identifying make ready work.
3. Understanding of and creating splice matrix and fiber assignments.
4. Create High Level Designs and costs estimates for conceptual fiber networks.
5. Produce construction drawings from CAD and GIS based design software.
6. Create standard documentation for use within the division and client engagement.
7. Create internal workflow procedures.
8. Coordinates and manages all cross-team activities, including but not limited to: Project level tasking – assignments, due dates, and quality of deliverables.
9. Project team calls – manage agenda, minutes, and action items.
10. Manage and oversee consistent use of Magellan’s tools within the teams, including but not limited to Wrike, ensuring project data is consistent and accurate.
11. Manage and coordinate project documentation – project charters, data collection, memos, communications, and meetings.
12. Support regional director’s engagement portfolio, including timelines, milestones, deliverables, and quality control. Raise project concerns or risks to management, as necessary.
13. Coordinates and participates in regional events, conferences and activities in coordination with Corporate Business Development.
14. Forecast costs and sales on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis.
15. Ensure region’s project teams have appropriate access to and understand the value in using Magellan’s support resources, research, tools, and other items that support our engagements.
16. Ensure corporate themes, standards, and quality are maintained throughout all areas and project teams.
17. Incorporates leads, contacts, and lists into an organized database and keep updated.
18. Assist in the development of divisional press releases.
19. Provides input to increase brand awareness and impact.
20. Engage various clients in a professional manner on a daily basis.
21. Coordinate staff resources to participate on new and repeat customer sales calls.
22. Complete administrative and fulfillment activities as needed.
23. Maintain reporting tasks as needed.
24. Meet with clients to for project pre-bids and status meetings and communicate with clients and vendors on a daily basis.
25. Travel required 35% - 60%.
26. Must maintain a growth-oriented mindset.
27. Must have valid driver’s license and valid passport.